homestead - Re: [Homestead] What's planting in your zone 6-7?

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What's planting in your zone 6-7?
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:36:21 -0400

Good to read of your plantings, Bev! Someone gave me two colors of broom
corn, sorghum is grown all around here, and i've that pretty Black Millet
and Sunflowers for the flying critters. I hope to make some wreaths of
the broomcorn, lavenders and a few other dried herbs this summer.

I just got thru going out and planting some fruit tree gifts from a
budding grafter friend of ours - he gave us 5 different kind of apples, 2
asian pears, and one local pear type! Another girlfriend sent over three
BIG Hardey Kiwis that never even have bloomed for her. We will try them
over on our end of the county to see if they might like it better here.

Tomorrow, i have a yearly presentation to a large group of women who are
recipients for the local catholic food pantry. I teach gardening, bring
them appalachian heirloom seed and herbs to plant, then we teach making a
healthful meal and they each get a grocery bag of the ingredients to take
home and prep for their families. This time it's a bean theme. My DH
made a colorful bean and ham soup for 30 as a favor to me yesterday. We
will make a big, vegie-filled Black Bean Salad with cheese for their
lesson......and some homemade tortilla chips. That is exotic food around
here for some. Soup Beans are a community staple, but oh-so-boring, w/o
other vegies or herbs. We made this one full of goodies, but not too
strong on the herbs for their tastes. It is a fun time, and they keep
having me back each season for 5 years now. I am grateful.

Back to fruit planting time,
Toni