homestead - Re: [Homestead] What's planting in your zone 6-7?

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What's planting in your zone 6-7?
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:24:29 -0400

Thanks Roxann!
I've heard it is to be around 24 at night this coming weekend. I
have out chinese cabbages, cauliflowers, broccs, onions, sno peas are up,
lettuces, and a few kinds of spinach. Time to start the beets, chard,
and taters soon!
All the warm weather crops are under lites in the basement - i actually
did NOT start them early this time around. I have just sown Okra a few
days back, but found my crops of them grew as quickly when direct sown
into black plastic mulch - tho i don't like the stuff. All the garlics (
20 kinds) and multiplying onions are going wild in their beds.
This year, i am needing more food for the soul, and so have many
flowers growing in the basement. A luxury allowed now that i have just
one daughter at home who is not home so much anymore!!
The asparagus started popping out this week, yeeehaw! I've 120 crowns
in from 5 years back, and have sown seed for another 40 for the future (
hoping not too many girls in that bunch!). As long as i haven't gotten
around to ordering more, i figure i have the 2-3 years they need to grow
into productive plants!! That is the only area i have ever dbl dug, and
i think i will keep it that way.......waaay too hard. Asparagus is one
of the few different vegies that the hill folk here will actually buy!
We are waasy to diverse in plantings for this culture, but the family
needs all our ethnic ingredients after lifetimes of great choice.
Thanks again - let us know how your garden grows thru the season!
Toni in E KY