homestead - Re: [Homestead] What's planting in your zone 6-7?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What's planting in your zone 6-7?
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:12:27 -0400

I live in NW Georgia, zone 7, just in case there is anyone new on the
list who didn't already know that.
I started seeds in January, and have quite a bit of stuff going.
In the garden already: cabbage(2 varieties), broccoli(2 varieties),
carrots, radishes, snow peas, chinese cabb, a few peppers, and a few
other things.
In the greenhouse, ready to be planted outside into beds: summer and
winter squashes, honeydew melons, tomatoes, tomatillos, and more
peppers. I have close to 70 tomatoes and tomatillos.
I also have various herbs ready to go, such as dill and chives.
I have large raised beds, but I still have to ground plant, so I tilled
the area where the 3 sisters stuff will go this week. It is supposed to
get down to 31 on Thursday night/Friday, so I am hesitant about putting
anything in the ground until after that. The Moon will be in Scorpio on
Friday, and of course, Good Friday is the traditional planting day in
the South, so I am hoping to get the corn in, transplant the tomatoes
and peppers, and put the squashes I already have in the raised beds.
The following week, I'll plant okra, the sweet potato slips, and more
squash from seed. These things like for the soil to be a bit warmer than
corn. Our soil temps are running about 64 now, and should be 65 before
the weekend. In another week or so, we should be bumping 68 or 70 on
soil temps. Finally after all of that, I'll start planting beans
whereever I can..in the corn, in raised beds, in rows, etc.
Oh, and also on Friday, I will be planting sunflowers and sorghum for
the chickens..
I know I am forgetting a bunch of stuff..<sigh>
Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.