homestead - Re: [Homestead] Real Estate Question

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Real Estate Question
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 22:36:42 -0700

To move sheep into CA we had a health certificate, scrapie ear tags and a negative bangs (brucellosis). If you are moving them back and forth between grazings, under the same ownership, if I remember correctly, you are exempt. We just had proof of ownership and an exemption form when we moved them from my dad's place in Nevada down to our place in Sonoma County.

As to Crescent City, move a scrunch east, or into the hills right outside Crescent City and you'll have plenty of heat for olives! There are micro-climates east of Crescent City that are very similar to Sonoma County and olives do quite well there!

Lynda

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic. Maybe we can just have a cistern,
a camper, and a solarium/shed. But, even though we seem to live in the
age of RVing, if you go to Arizona, one doesn't often hear of people
traveling semi-annually between two pieces of undeveloped land, even
though our ancestors followed this lifestyle for millenia. Insurance
companies aren't helping; I hear there's usually a clause that voids
your fire insurance if you're gone for more than 30 days.

I shouldn't rule out California, even if Crescent City isn't known for
its olives, but rather the endless gloom. I don't vaccinate the lambs
and calves that we raise seasonally now, because I never have any
problems just in one summer, but these sheep would be long-term breeding
sheep, and they would be vaccinated. I wonder if there's any other
catch, in California or in general, with bringing animals across a state
line.