homestead - Re: [Homestead] Real Estate Question

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Real Estate Question
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 21:52:09 -0700

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Look into zoning laws, but far more important is deed restrictions. The restrictions might not be specifically listed on your deed nor any of its predecessors to be valid. That's where the deed search and the attorney come in.

When we bought this place we hired a title company. Was that enough? I'm certain that a search for liens against the property is harder than one for deed restrictions, which are all recorded in one easy place, right?

Things like not living in a camper on the land or not living there until there is a developed water source sound more like deed restrictions than zoning.

Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic. Maybe we can just have a cistern, a camper, and a solarium/shed. But, even though we seem to live in the age of RVing, if you go to Arizona, one doesn't often hear of people traveling semi-annually between two pieces of undeveloped land, even though our ancestors followed this lifestyle for millenia. Insurance companies aren't helping; I hear there's usually a clause that voids your fire insurance if you're gone for more than 30 days.

I shouldn't rule out California, even if Crescent City isn't known for its olives, but rather the endless gloom. I don't vaccinate the lambs and calves that we raise seasonally now, because I never have any problems just in one summer, but these sheep would be long-term breeding sheep, and they would be vaccinated. I wonder if there's any other catch, in California or in general, with bringing animals across a state line.

Bill
S. Oregon coast