homestead - Re: [Homestead] Real Estate Question

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Real Estate Question
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:38:27 -0700

Oh, it's not too bad, in general. When we were in the neighborhood, I saw a property with goats. It's mostly about livestock here in Oregon, and this property is well outside the city. Let's just say that every piece of land that's cleared and outside the city has livetock here. But I've never heard of a place going back to rural or agricultural zoning once it acquired some "higher" status.

What's restrictive is new wells and subdivisions. I understand that out West there's only so much water. But when they tell you that you can't split 40 acres, because a family every 20 acres would deplete the water, and right nearby people who've been "grandfathered in" are on a half-acre, it seems too highly constrained. I basically can't have a second dwelling in this property (but a 10' x 12' "shed" yes), even if I swear that it's only to have a sunnier spot to spend the winter, because another family _might_ move in. But right nearby people on a half-acre are watering their voluptuous lawn constantly from our aquifer.

Bill
S. Oregon coast