homestead - Re: [Homestead] Real Estate Question

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Real Estate Question
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:35:00 -0700

OK, suppose they allow animals but not the camping. Suppose that I consent to building a mother-in-law's house on the site, if for nothing other than as an investment, and the slope is fine for a building site. What I think I'm hearing is that it's an all-or-nothing risk, whether the dig for water succeeds (I'm not sure which is riskier, the well digging or the well approval process). For then, with water, can come the approval for a "dwelling". It's no wonder that no one is rushing to buy if that's the case.

I don't suppose that anything can be done about access other than making friends with the neighbors!

I didn't read your PS until just a minute ago. That's how I always thought it was. A man could buy a property by the lake and stay in the camper 'til whenever. I guess since I was a kid they passed a lot of anti-hippification laws out West, and now they're in the way of anyone who wants to live a sustainable lifestyle.

Bill
S. Oregon coast

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

Most places have building codes though how restrictive
they are and how strictly they are enforced varies. A
lot of places will allow the camper but have limits to
keep you from using it has permanent housing.

There might be a state law about the animals even if
no local.

Van Dell

P.S. If you want to come to Randolph County, Missouri
we have no building codes or zoning.

--- Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com> wrote:

I'm trying to buy a 2-5 acre parcel in Oregon's
banana belt where we can take the sheep for the winter when we're retired. I
guess I'm naive about "the way things are". I wish someone could
explain these paradoxes to me. Thanks in advance. I feel really
stupid asking these things of a realtor. Should I find a realtor other
than the seller's? At what point do I become obligated to follow
through with a particular realtor?

1. "You can't build on the land if it doesn't have
water." I see how this fits in with the world of home loans. But I'm
paying cash. And enough rain falls there that we can easily manage
with a small cistern, just for the winter months.

2. "You can't stay on the land unless it has a
government-approved home on it." I'm not sure about this one. But I'm
pretty sure they've found a way to keep the riff-raff away. What if my RV is
really nice?

3. "You can't keep animals there unless you stay
there with them." Once again, don't know. Either way, it would AYOR
to leave them alone.

4. "You have to 'develop' the water source before
you know if there is any, because you can't use the creek water." Should
I expect the seller's realtor to disclose details about water,
the geological report, and access? If I have to dig, even though I don't
want to, then do I only find out after I'm screwed whether I can build?

I'm happy to build a 12' x 10' solarium with a cook
stove, but I'm not sure if this would buy me the privilege of staying
on my own land.

So what I don't appreciate overall is, I started out
with only the simplest demands, since I already own a summer farm,
yet I end up having to build a McMansion whether I want to or not? Should we just ignore it all and go park the RV there and enjoy a balmy
winter?

Bill
S. Oregon coast

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/vdjor%40yahoo.com