homestead - Re: [Homestead] Notes From the Farm (Summer 2006)

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Notes From the Farm (Summer 2006)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:19:37 -0400

Bill Jones wrote:

Finally a few pimentos are ripening, so I made machaca from them.

What's that?

There's no choice but to deal with squash,
so I made a giant pot of Italian-style zucchini in tomato sauce and canned 14 pints of it.

Recipe, please...
I make lots of zucchini bread and squash casseroles and freeze them.

The filberts bore a quantity of nuts for the first time, and for some
reason the squirrels are incompetent this year, so I cured several
dozen of them.

How old are your filberts?

I planted 3 Hazelnuts this year.

Best of all, the seedling (non-grafted, so pot luck) walnut
had 8 nuts, despite being still small. That virtually guarantees
good harvests in years to come. And my two little cherries, along
with the larger one by the shed, whose fruits were mostly
unreachable, yielded about 5 gallons of cherries!

Investigate bush cherries...

We put lots of them into the rumpot, along
with many other early berries. And the grape harvest is more
enormous than ever, with 3 kinds of table grapes (Canadice,
Interlaken Seedless, and Himrod)

How do you like the Interlaken?

Speaking of dry weather, it rained about a half-inch over about one week's time. That brings our total for the rain year to 71.42",
which will probably be the final total, since no more is expected
until after October 1.

Wow. We only get about 54" here..

I'm happy to have finished Step 0 (deciding what it is you need/want)
on several building projects. In the front yard we're converting the
old lamp tower to an obelisk, and building a trapezoidal arch to walk
under, for an Incan theme. To discourage people from going around
the archway, there'll be a low trapezoidal sundial to the side. It's
design will be truly unique. The gnomon will be a smaller replica of
the obelisk, standing apart from the trapezoidal face. An ordinary
sundial makes a great calendar in winter and fall, but in spring and
summer the shadow is so short that you can't easily resolve what date
it is. So I had a great idea to position things so that the shadow
falls in the normal way onto the flat face only in fall and winter.
In spring and summer the shadow will fall onto the side of the
trapezoidal block. Conveniently, the side pattern will resemble a
plant stem, to go with the flower motif that will appear on the top
(actually the mathematical curves for each hour of the day that
resemble flower petals).

I'd love to see pictures of this. I've been batting around the idea of
a inground sundial and a labyrinth for the garden. I have several pages
bookmarked, but can't decide on exactly what I want.

Bev

--
Bevanron in NW Georgia EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses