homestead - Re: [Homestead] End of the season okra

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] End of the season okra
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:17:24 -0700

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

I've had some success at baking some things that I
might otherwise fry. Put them in the oven on a cookie
sheet, breaded or not as called for.

I've had great luck making all my crisp tortilla faves by oiling tortillas lightly and baking them. I now use the perforated baguette pan (to which bread dough sticks so badly) to make curved taco shells. Feliz Dia de Independencia a todos.

Back to okra and such, this summer we tried making crisp breaded zucchini on the griddle. No more than a light rub with oil is sufficient for the griddle. I like to season the bread crumbs with Parmesan and pepper, and the egg with garlic and fresh herbs. It was better than deep frying, in my estimation, because if anything the zucchini are reluctant to cook, thus insulated from the griddle, so they come out really nice and firm, and very crisp.

Bill