homestead - Re: [Homestead] Question About Pluots

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Question About Pluots
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:55:18 -0700

Lynda wrote:

Has anyone tried a pluot? Anyone growing them?

We bought some at the store the other day and they were yummy. We're
thinking about buying a couple of trees and were looking for input from
*real* people who have grown them.

A friend of mine has one. I've always wondered why I need to plant yet another kind of fruit tree, but I have finally thought of a reason. In this area, plums do splendidly but apricots are difficult. Unfortunately, most plums don't dry so well, but apricots do. So it would be great, for us, if the tree behaved like a plum and the fruit tasted like an apricot. Maybe some of the catalog descriptions reflect this.

Bill
S. Oregon coast