homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sand plans

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sand plans
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 16:51:44 EDT

I have ceased to view plans as written in stone or written in sand; had to
cease viewing them that way.

Plans here are more like a flowchart. And even with the flowchart there is
Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, and so on. Plan R-23a-J is what we will do if Jesus
comes back (and Plan R23a-Z is what we do if the Great Prophet Zarquon
returns,
gotta cover your bases).

But the more closely reviewed plans are: What if fuel becomes $9 a gallon,
what if it doesn't, what if agricultural products (animal feed) is
unavailable,
what if it's plentiful? We just renewed our life insurance, what if one of
us dies? What if the land around us loses 2/3rds its value, what if it
doubles
in value? What if we make a good return on our cottage industries, what will
we take up if they don't?

As one meanders down the flowchart, various decisions and paths emerge for
which these external factors are a minimum influence. That has a lot to do
with
why we homestead.

In the microcosm, I was going to put out some more beans and seed some fall
brassica plants; but it's raining heavily so I'm resawing wood instead.

You got to have plans. But I don't any longer view them as being 'flexible'
so much as having many aspects at the same time.