homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hello from Missouri

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hello from Missouri
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 14:34:32 -0500

Now what is your excuse...lol....

Thirty years ago I made a criteria list, applied it to the contiguous 48 states and found my ideal spot here in Ozark County. The ensuing years have been interesting. Never did find a way to make enough money here to stay full time.

I am in Randolph County, in the heart of "little
dixie" The nearest town Huntsville has a honeycomb of
old shafts underneath. My birthplace fell into the
cancer of strip mines and we had to abandon the home
place.

NNW of Columbia. I was ignorant of how many coal mines are scattered across Missouri. Looked it up, turns out coal deposits underlie one-third of the state. I also did not know that area is called Little Dixie. How come?

Sounds like you are entering a fun time in your life, Van Dell. Let us know what you learn and ask questions so we can help.