homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hello from Missouri

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hello from Missouri
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 08:14:09 -0500

I ran across this address when researching Ford 8N
tractors. Just to make sure I understand, is this a
group of Homesteaders who ask questions or debate
issures relating to a homestead lifestyle?.

Yes. Often we get bored and sleepy so someone tosses out an incendiary opinion that inflames us back to full fire.

I have recently moved from Phx Az back to rural
missouri.

We have that in common. Chris and I have just moved back here to the Ozarks from Phoenix.

have 195 acres 100 wood 95 grassland
including a reclaimed coal mine.

From that I would guess you are in the eastern part of the state south of St. Louis. I think Missouri had an abandoned coal mine program. Is your property the result of that program? Is any coal on your property usable for heating

Bought a house in
town to live in till houses are built. One for wife
and I, one for son and his wife.
We are not sure what we are going to do. Once settled
will have livestock, gardens etc.

Well, you didn't ask, but my strong advice is to build a shop first, so you have a place to keep tools and materials. I am finally building such a place and I regret I didn't do it years ago.

May even try to
find a "niche" type of agriculture that son can make a
living at, so he doesn't have to spend all the time
away from home nursing.

Lots of new opportunities in niche ag these days. How far is your land from a good-sized market for products?

Hope to make some new friends.

That's easy to do here. Just be involved and don't get uptight about differing views. We are each unique, thank goodness.

Van Dell Jordan.

So how do you prefer to be addressed: Van, or Van Dell?