homestead - Re: [Homestead] Top Bar Hives

  • From: Kathyann <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Top Bar Hives
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 23:23:56 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Of all the homestead enterprises, says I, the quickest way to blow a pile of cash is to get into beekeeping too quickly or to extensively. I'd highly recommend setting up one and no more than two Langstroth hives the first year and do a lot of observing.

Well, our bees moved in today. I decided to start w a Langstroth and expand into a Kenyan when they are ready to expand. They are wonderful! I got to spend time and play with them before bringing them home. Maybe strange but they calmly cover my hand and one did the peck on the cheek I have always received when encountering bees. What is that? They just bump once into my cheek. Anyway they got into the truck willingly and I take that as a good sign with any new resident. I haven't talked to them since the truck ride home, but I think they will find it a good fit here. I'm sure we'll learn much together but I wish I were doing the TBH now.

Thanks,
Kathyann