homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised Bed Gardening with Leonard Pense

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised Bed Gardening with Leonard Pense
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 17:28:05 -0500

Leonard Pense . . . from just east of Springfield Missouri . . . website is www.gardeningrevolution.com

He is in my area but I haven't met him yet. His garden looks new. I tried concrete-block-perimeter beds some years ago and found them unsatisfactory. The ground moves, especially with frosts, and when it does the blocks go awry, especially when you go more than single block high. I started out with four-by-sixteen beds also; it's a good size, but the eight-inch blocks make reaching the veggies or pulling weeds a longer stretch than if you use white oak planks, which eventually rot, or ferrocement, of which I have only one bed so far but am convinced is the way to go. A plus of using concrete blocks is they provide a wide enough surface upon which to sit.