homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fiberglas tool handle slivers

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fiberglas tool handle slivers
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 18:33:10 -0500

I was talking with a guy the other day about fiberglass vs wood as
handle material. He told me he had done a lot of utility work and
they always used wood handles for that, he emphasized no fiberglass.
That was something I'd never thought of.

By utility work, do you mean electrical? Fiberglass is a non-conductor. I've seen it used by electric company crews for those long poles with a hook on the end that they use for tripping line breakers and moving wires.

For your problem Gene I'd use either electrical tape or duct tape...
both of which I have around.

I think tape would get gunky with time. And a rake handle needs to slide easily.

Depending on my finances I might replace to tool.

The frugal homesteader in me is highly reluctant to get rid of a good tool just because the handle makes slivers.

If I make time for it I will contact the manufacturer and lay it on them.