homestead - [Homestead] Controlling the Net

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Controlling the Net
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:44:49 -0700

Has anyone heard about the bill in Congress to "give a few corporations the
power to end the free and open internet as we know it"?

AARP: Telecommunications Policy Proposed by Congress Must Recognize Internet
Neutrality
http://www.aarp.org/research/press-center/presscurrentnews/internet_neutrality.html

Los Angeles Times: AOL Blocks Critics' E-Mails
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-aol14apr14,1,5346265.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true

B.C. Civil Liberties Association Denounces Blocking of Website by Telus
http://www.twu-canada.ca/cgi-bin/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1122447600,4516,

New Yorker: Net Losses
http://www.newyorker.com/printables/talk/060320ta_talk_surowiecki

San Francisco Chronicle: Don't Undercut Internet Access
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/04/17/EDGNSGUA4F1.DTL

"Until recently, companies that provided Internet access followed a de-facto
commoncarriage rule, usually called "network neutrality," which meant that
all Web sites got equal treatment. Network neutrality was considered so
fundamental to the success of the Net that Michael Powell, when he was
chairman of the F.C.C., described it as one of the basic rules of "Internet
freedom." In the past few months, though, companies like A.T. & T. and
BellSouth have been trying to scuttle it. In the future, Web sites that pay
extra to providers could receive what BellSouth recently called "special
treatment," and those that don't could end up in the slow lane. One day,
BellSouth customers may find that, say, NBC.com loads a lot faster than
YouTube.com, and that the sites BellSouth favors just seem to run more
smoothly. Tiered access will turn the providers into Internet gatekeepers."

Lynda
>From lkvp AT floydva.net Sat Apr 22 12:51:15 2006
>Has anyone heard about the bill in Congress to "give a few corporations the
>power to end the free and open internet as we know it"?

I received a blurb from moveon.org just yesterday regarding same. It's
either the biggest hoax or, unfortunately, it's true. I would have
imagined that the AARP and moveon.org would have done their homework.

Lisa