homestead - Re: [Homestead] New trees was questions about safety in tornadoes

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New trees was questions about safety in tornadoes
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:51:30 -0500

<<That makes sense. To just dig it deep enough that is. Marie are you
reading this :>)>>

Yes, I am. Sounds good to me. Tomorrow -- which is long enough since the
last rain, and I have a two-day window of opportunity here -- I'm doing the
digging. This post has heartened me a great deal. Now, if these trees just
sit there for the next 10 years, I'll have a few words for Mr. GeRue.

I think he may be right, though. Other (though smaller) trees that I've
planted without going much deeper than the roots have done fine. In fact,
several were so small that I didn't have to dig a hole -- just used a spade
to plant them like bedding plants -- and they took right off (except for the
evergreens that the chickens ate).

Marie