homestead - Re: [Homestead] New trees was questions about safety in tornadoes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New trees was questions about safety in tornadoes
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:34:27 -0500

Remember the advice, " Don't dig a $1 hole for a $10 tree"?

That caution may merit rethinking. Over the last several years I've been advised to dig holes a bit wider than the roots but no deeper. Upon questioning, I am told that if you create loose dirt under the tree that the roots will quickly descend but, being puny weak, will soon bang up against firm soil and curl away, resulting in a swirly ball of roots but no penetration into the subsoil where greater moisture is found.