homestead - Re: [Homestead] New trees was questions about safety in tornadoes

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New trees was questions about safety in tornadoes
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:54:52 -0500

<<I planted my trees a few weeks ago that were not huge, especially the root

system. I have plowed up the area that they went in. It was quite a bit of
work getting the holes deep enough in spite of the plowing.

I've seen their web site. So what varieties did you get? >>

I'm planning to use the skid loader to loosen the top foot or so. It rained
long and hard today, so that will have to wait a couple of days. Not that
I'm complaining about the rain; it has been extremely dry here (central
Illinois) all winter. The soil in my orchard is heavy clay (and so is most
soil within 20 miles, which explains why the county had so many brick kilns
and still has many old brick houses).

I've got Ashmead's Kernel, Calville Blanc, Cox's Orange Pippin, Northern
Spy, and a freebie Spitzenburg. Digging the whole for the Spitzenburg will
probably be what does me in. :)

Marie