homestead - Re: [Homestead] asparagus farmer

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] asparagus farmer
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 07:27:45 -0400

My name is Rose. I am an asparagus farmer. Are there any asparagus farmers here. Also I was wonder why more farmers do not grow asparagus. I have been doing so for 8 years with little problems. Easy to grow really. And you dont have to plant every year. Brings us in a nice profit with minimal labor. I sell big asp roots to other farmers expanding or just getting started plus home gardeners. I harvest for 8 weeks early Spring and that is already sold to select restraunts. Out of the field, on to a truck = job done.

Welcome Rose, I have never heard anyone hear talking about farming asparagus in a big way. I'm curious about your operation. I am looking for some alternative crops to grow on my land. I need some time to get the land cultivated and improved, but asparagus is interesting. What varieties do your grow? Do you start with seed or roots? Do you farm organically or conventionally? What are the biggest problems you have with asparagus?

I'm starting some seed this year for personal use and interested in learning more. Again welcome, and sorry to pump you for information!

Rob - Va