homestead - Re: [Homestead] asparagus farmer

  • From: "Lisa K. V. Perry" <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] asparagus farmer
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 17:46:08 -0400

Stinkn Rose wrote:

My name is Rose. I am an asparagus farmer.

Hi Rose,

Welcome to the list. My husband and I have an acquaintance friend who has been a truck driver for the last twenty years. He planted I forget how many asparagus crowns a year ago, with the intention of becoming an asparagus farmer in 2008. He says that he thinks he'll earn a similar living to driving the truck full-time, but without the wear and tear and mental fatigue.

We have two asparagus beds in our garden that we "inherited" when we bought our place six years ago. One does moderately well (10+ years old) but the younger bed (8 years) is just so-so. Any ideas of how to improve the younger bed that is barely producing?
Lisa Perry
sw VA