homestead - [Homestead] Intro

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Homestead" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Intro
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:08:19 -0400

Hey all,

I am Rob. I've been on this list for about a year now. This is my second time
here, I was on the list in the old days (the 90s). In the mid 90s, I bought
and created a pretty decent homestead in El Salvador. That place is run for
me by some family there. About 5 years ago, I decided that I wanted to be in
the good old USA, especially as I get older.

So, I bought 35 acres in south-central Virginia. Last summer I sold the city
house and paid this place off. I put a used double-wide trailer in and am
here homesteading full time. I have a job interview this week. Not so
thrilled about that, but I need some income. I am trying to look at the
bright side (income) and I'll meet lots of people locally.

My land is old tobacco fields that have gone fallow and grown over in weeds
and brambles. The open 12 acres or so were bush hogged off last fall and I'll
maintain that while I start tilling up smaller areas and returning it to
production. I'll be doing no or low till on the land once I get it under
control.

I tilled up a quarter acre this spring and limed it. Planted the orchard. I'm
using that for garden for the next few years while the trees get a start. I
intend to till up another half acre or less in a week or so and start cover
cropping it. I'm going to try to use buckwheat as a first cover crop. I
planted a couple of test plots a few days ago.

I want to get most of the land in pasture, run a cow and some chickens on it.
I'll keep an acre or two open for crops and hopefully a market garden that I
can sell out of.

All the tilling is just to level out the old furrows with a heavy weed sod in
them and to try to know back the weeds/brambles. Not that easy! I am hoping
that a buckwheat, buckwheat, rye/legume in the fall cover will get me in
control.

This week or next, I am starting with a couple of hives of bees, so that is
my newest addition.

Rob - Va