homestead - Re: [Homestead] instant shelter

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] instant shelter
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:00:45 -0700

At 10:42 AM 11/28/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>What problem do you see heating a torus? Every home has its warm rooms and
its cool rooms.

When we had our home that was only heated by wood heat, the rooms not close
to the wood stove were pretty chilly. The previous owners had installed a
blower that blew to that one particular bedroom farthest away and it did
help, but the one room that didn't have any ducts needed to be heated with
an electric heater to be comfortably warm.

Our home was in Kentucky, so the only months that were cold were the winter
months. I couldn't imagine having that same set up here, where it snows
more often and winters last longer.

>Benefits? Strength, privacy, diversity in light...and a central outside area.

That *is* nice. I love rooms with enough windows to not need additional
light during the day. And I would really enjoy a courtyard set-up.

>Tubes, especially curved tubes, are simple and strong.

That is a good point.

Best wishes,
Melody