homestead - [Homestead] Arcosanti, was Re: Frank Lloyd Wright, was Re: metal homes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Arcosanti, was Re: Frank Lloyd Wright, was Re: metal homes
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:19:43 -0600

What is you current impression of Arcosanti? I haven't been there in years.
Kathyann

Paolo Soleri has a tiny body but a huge mind and infinite patience. I hope his plans for Arcosanti after his death work out. Arcosanti goes slowly. My impression is that the planning is sound. He sure is using a lot of concrete. But it will be there for centuries.

Since I first went there in about 1974 I have pondered how one justifies the enormous capital cost for so many years with so few inhabitants actually using the place. Next time I am up there, maybe this winter, I will get the new numbers and give an update on the progress.

They have finally decided to pave the road in; the time and cost of maintaining two-and-a-half miles of dirt road and the negative reaction of visitors tipped the balance. Inasmuch as Cosanti is in Scottsdale many of Arcosanti's regular supporters and might-be supporters drive some pretty fine machinery and are disinclined to subject their Jaguars and Beemers to that road. So it affected attendance to the various musical productions and other events.