homestead - Re: [Homestead] Frank Lloyd Wright, was Re: metal homes

  • From: Kathyann <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Frank Lloyd Wright, was Re: metal homes
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:11:20 -0600

Gene GeRue wrote:

Practicality was not FLW's strong suit in his houses, although some of his commercial designs worked very well. Nor were his buildings built to last. Most have needed extensive repairs, including Fallingwater, his most famous. I wrote here how disappointed I was when I first visited Taliesin West and saw the poor masonry workmanship. Turns out he was out of funds, as usual. Reminds me of Jefferson. Turns out the work was done by the apprentices, the architecture students who were his workers, doing his grunt work, even doing his laundry. They paid good money for this. In that regard he was a model for Paolo Solari, who also uses unpaid workers to build Arcosanti.

What is you current impression of Arcosanti? I haven't been there in years.
Kathyann