homestead - Re: [Homestead] When Pharmaceutical Companies "Own" Pyschiatric Care

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] When Pharmaceutical Companies "Own" Pyschiatric Care
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:09:46 -0700

At a time when ethical questions are dogging the pharmaceutical industry and algorithm programs in Texas and Pennsylvania, President Bush's New Freedom Commission on Mental Health has lauded TMAP as a "model program" and called for the expanded use of screening programs like the one at Aliah Gleason's middle school. The question now is whose interests do these programs really serve?

The pharmaceutical companies are most impressive in their:
1) highly successful seduction of state and federal politicians;
2) their disregard for all save profit.

I have a simple middle-finger response: I don't buy any of their products.

Remember, your most powerful vote is at the checkout register.