homestead - Re: [Homestead] Web based email

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org, Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Web based email
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:11:10 -0500

Rob,

Google is starting a new e-mail service, called Gmail. Here is some info.
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

Good luck on selling your house.

Jerry Shepperd

What is Gmail?

As part of Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful, we're testing an email service called Gmail.

Gmail is a free, search-based webmail service that includes more than 2,000 megabytes (two gigabytes) of storage. The backbone of Gmail is a powerful Google search engine that quickly finds any message an account owner has ever sent or received. That means there's no need to file messages in order to find them again.

When Gmail displays an email, it automatically shows all the replies to that email as well, so users can view a message in the context of a conversation. There are no pop-ups or untargeted banner ads in Gmail, which places relevant text ads and links to related web pages adjacent to email messages.

Quick Facts
* Cost: Free
* Storage: 2,000+ megabytes (and counting)
* Languages: Messages can be sent and read in most languages. The Gmail interface is available in many languages, including UK English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and simplified and traditional Chinese, and we are continuing to add more.
* Access: Free automatic forwarding and POP3 access
* JavaScript and cookies must be enabled on all browsers
* Fully supported browsers:
* - Microsoft IE 5.5+ (download: <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.asp>Windows)
* - Netscape 7.1+ (download: <http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp>Windows <http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp>Mac <http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp>Linux)
* - Mozilla 1.4+ (download: <http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/>Windows <http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/>Mac <http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/>Linux)
* - Mozilla Firefox 0.8+ (download: <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>Windows <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>Mac <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>Linux)
* - Safari 1.2.1+ (download: <http://www.apple.com/safari/download/>Mac)
* Many other browsers work with Gmail's basic HTML view, including:
* - Microsoft IE 4.0+
* - Netscape 4.07+
* - Opera 6.03+