homestead - Re: [Homestead] From A Journalist Friend

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] From A Journalist Friend
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:11:33 EST

In a message dated 3/14/2005 1:35:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lurine AT softcom.net writes:

excerpt:
Under the Bush administration, the federal government has
aggressively used a well-established tool of public relations: the
prepackaged, ready-to-serve news report that major corporations have
long distributed to TV stations to pitch everything from headache
remedies to auto insurance. In all, at least 20 federal agencies,
including the Defense Department and the Census Bureau, have made and
distributed hundreds of television news segments in the past four
years, records and interviews show. Many were subsequently broadcast
on local stations across the country without any acknowledgement of
the government's role in their production.

Of course, Clinton did the same thing, My Mother and Step Father, both
worked for the federal government under the Clinton admin as television
producers.
They put together all
sorts of pre-packaged releases. My mother was a producer for WTBS and CNN
before
taking the government job. My stepfather was transferred to homeland
security 2 years ago to do the same sort of work. There is absolutely
nothing wrong
with the government
putting together these bits. It was originally conceived as a way to film
pieces in secure
areas that the press is not allowed into. The ONLY problem with this is that
it is up to the
broadcast agency to identify the pieces and their sources. If a station does
not do this, it
could mislead the viewers.

Drew