homestead - Re: [Homestead] Taking stupid and unnecessary risks

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Taking stupid and unnecessary risks
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:32:52 -0700

tvoivozhd---too bad past years postings didn't make it into the archives. I posted a long tirade about interior stairway cost and waste of expensive space,

The space waste issue can largely be overcome by placing stairs over storage space or book shelves opening to both sides. The closet storage space under stairs is delightful for small humans who liken the space to their private cave. Put a crawl hole into their bedroom or bedroom closet for greater delight.

and my love of a hexagon eyrie with 360 degrees of window as an office or place to soak in beautiful views.

Might work in a San Diego climate. All other climates have either a heating or cooling issue, which means that many of those windows, even double-paned, argon-filled, low-e $$$$$ windows will make the energy bill soar.

With this prompting, you will probably remember what I consider an ideal solution----bring the corner of the roof down to ground level, put steps on top to ascend to the eyrie.

One of my current design musings has the back of a shed roof extended over a patio/garden area to higher ground, with the north-most ends sitting on the ground. I would build such rafter beams of ferrocement so that I could roof some of the area for outdoor dining but leave much of it open for plants' sunlight. A ramp on top of two of the beams would make roof access simple.

Is there any chance you might still have that long tirade saved somewhere, so you could re-send it? It's a terrible thing if you haven't save your posts to this list! A person could write a useful book based on your posts.

The problem is the monthly splat issue. During the recovery period he is, um, computer challenged and typically destroys his hard drive. If you want anything saved, learn to save it yourself. I have saved some of his stuff for when I am depressed; reading the stuff from those certain times of the month of his turns me into a laugh monster.

  • Re: [Homestead] Taking stupid and unnecessary risks, Gene GeRue, 03/12/2005