homestead - RE: [Homestead] Woodburning boiler

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Woodburning boiler
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:41:01 -0600

<<tvoivozhd---sorry I can't be encouraging. With the exception of the
Hardy brand of outside wood furnaces, when I researched the topic two
years ago, the other brands had a lot of reader complaints about boiler
leaks. The manufacturer of the Hardy is either the oldest of outside
heaters or close to it, and probably eliminated their complaints across
a longer period of trial and error>>

This boiler is 10 years old. The company is now flogging the old carbon
steel boilers as well as a new titanium steel. Until it began to leak, I was
quite happy with it. Loaded with Osage orange, it burns 12 to 24 hours,
depending on the outside temps. It keeps the circulating water at 180
degrees; the fancy pants propane boiler I have brings the water up to 180
but then doesn't kick back on until temps drop to 160.

Oh well, tomorrow I'll stoke up the fire and see what happens. Right now we
have pouring rain (supposed to change to freezing rain by Wednesday), and I
don't have the urge to go out and work on a fire in the downpour.

Marie