grhits - Re: [grhits] managing mailbox and message sizes

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "Jojo Almario" <jalmario AT intrahealth.org>
  • To: "Global Reproductive Health IT Support list" <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [grhits] managing mailbox and message sizes
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:40:01 -0500

Hi Jim

I am not sure if our policy is the one to follow since we are always reconsidering it and we have the same issues of clients constantly reaching the quota ceiling fairly quickly and they don’t want to be bothered with having to delete or manually archiving email.  If they have a POP3 connection then we specify that they only keep no more than 60 days of email on the server via their email client, which in our case is Outlook.  It doesn’t  really feel like that alone helps.

For our sending and receiving limits, it is based on a region or countries bandwidth or ability to handle large attachments.  Country offices like Ethiopia have a 2-5mb limit and if they have a file that is large in size that must be accommodated then we assist with an FTP transfer with emailed instructions.  Other countries that aren’t as bad off have their limit set somewhat higher, and have access to resources like HTTP Commander in addition to FTP, and places like here we have no limit, but encourage resources like Sharepoint, HTTP Commander, FTP, and Google apps for file distribution. So its pretty much on a case by case basis depending on the region.

The biggest problem we have is getting people to standardize on these alternative methods of distributing their files or attachments in order to cut down on large attachments clogging up inboxes.

Jojo

Systems Admin

Intrahealth International Inc.

919-313-9130