grhits - [grhits] managing mailbox and message sizes

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "Jim Fennessey" <jfennessey AT jhpiego.net>
  • To: <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [grhits] managing mailbox and message sizes
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:18:45 -0500

Hi ...

We're seeking info about mailbox and message size limits people on this list are using, and any experiences/suggestions for monitoring and managing those two parameters.  Currently, our field offices have message limits of a few megabytes up to 5 or more megabytes.  We're contemplating a message size limit of 5 or 10 or 15 MB here at headquarters, but this might necessitate some behavior changes by our clients (we've seen some quite large attachments).  As for total mailbox size (including sent and deleted, etc), we're currently limiting that to 500 MB, but have heard some suggestions that Google and Yahoo offer many times more space.  We're not sure that's an 'apples to apples' comparison, but several of our users have recently begun bouncing up against this total size limit.  Hence this email.    All comments and suggestions welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

Jhpiego—Innovating to Save Lives

Jim Fennessey

Director, Management Information Systems Office

Jhpiego—an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University

1615 Thames Street, Suite 301

Baltimore, Maryland 21231

Phone: 410.537.1836

Cell: 410.262.1634