fingerlakespermaculture - Coming Up at Groundswell Center (Ithaca, NY): Farming for Justice, Horse-Powered Farming, Permanent Bed Building

  • From: Kate Cardona <kate AT groundswellcenter.org>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org, SUSTAINABLE_TOMPKINS-L AT list.cornell.edu
  • Subject: Coming Up at Groundswell Center (Ithaca, NY): Farming for Justice, Horse-Powered Farming, Permanent Bed Building
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 14:41:37 -0400

Coming up at Groundswell Center: Please Share Widely!

Farming for Justice:
A Discussion/Action Group for Food Producers
Wednesday, October 18th, 6PM - 8PM
Groundswell Center, 225 South Fulton Street, Ithaca NY*

Farming for Justice is a new monthly meeting for farmers, food producers, and land workers interested in digging into the intersection of food, agriculture and social justice. What role do we see ourselves playing in racial/economic justice work? What are the barriers we face and how can we support each other to step further into action? Through dialogue, education and action planning, we'll begin to explore the answers.

RSVP to Kate Cardona at kate AT groundswellcenter.org
*Please let me know if your farm or home can host an upcoming session!*

Horse-Powered Farming Basics
Saturday, November 4th, 9AM - 4PM
with the EquiCenter and Cornell Small Farms
EquiCenter, 3247 Rush Mendon Road, Honeoye Fall NY
Cost: $25, fee waived for veterans. Tuition Assistance Available.

This workshop will offer draft power horse and mule training for aspiring farmers or growers to learn about farming without use of fossil fuels. This course is for beginners, no experience necessary.
Transportation from Ithaca, NY area is being coordinated. Please let us know if you require transportation or childcare.

Contact kate AT groundswellcenter.org to sign up!

Saturday, November 18th, 9AM - 2PM
Groundswell Incubator Farm, 100 Rachel Carson Way, Ithaca
Bring weather appropriate clothes and a bag lunch!
Cost: Sliding Scale, $5-$25,
No one turned away for lack of funds

Sean Dembrosky of Edible Acres will lead a very hands on workshop showing participants strategies and techniques for taking ‘weedy’ areas of shrubs, brambles, tall grasses, young trees, etc., and converting it into permanent raised beds on contour that can be incredibly productive.  Using permaculture principles and only hand tools, a group of people can convert ‘waste’ spaces into amazing production that can grow soil rapidly, hold onto moisture in the landscape and avoid using costly, dangerous and noisy equipment to do the work.

 Join us as we take an abandoned slope and help guide it into the foundation of a food forest for the Groundswell Center Incubator Farm!

--
Kate Cardona
Equity, Outreach and Course Coordinator

  • Coming Up at Groundswell Center (Ithaca, NY): Farming for Justice, Horse-Powered Farming, Permanent Bed Building, Kate Cardona, 10/16/2017