fingerlakespermaculture - "Living Downstream" documentary 5/26/2010 I.C. Finger Lakes Project Workshop

  • From: burns <michael AT fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: "Living Downstream" documentary 5/26/2010 I.C. Finger Lakes Project Workshop
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:23:35 -0400

Acclaimed "Living Downstream" documentary will kick off next week's Ithaca College Finger Lakes Project Workshop

Raised in small-town Illinois, cancer seems to run in Sandra Steingraber&rsquo;s family. Sandra was diagnosed with bladder cancer when she was just twenty years old. Her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer when Sandra was in high school, and many of her aunts and uncles have struggled with the disease. One aunt even died from the same form of bladder cancer that Sandra had. But while cancer runs in her family, she cannot say that it runs in her genes. Sandra is adopted. This unusual twist led Sandra to ask what else families have in common besides their DNA. The answer is all around us: our environment.

Based on the acclaimed book by ecologist and cancer survivor Sandra Steingraber, Ph.D., Living Downstream is an eloquent and cinematic feature-length documentary. This poetic and character-driven film follows Sandra during one pivotal year as she travels across North America, working to break the silence about cancer and its environmental links. At once Sandra's personal journey and her scientific exploration, Living Downstream is a powerful reminder of the intimate connection between the health of our bodies and the health of our air, land and water.

The film will screen at Textor 101 on Wednesday May 26 at 8 pm. Sandra, who is an Interdisciplinary and International Studies Scholar- in-Residence at IC, will be present to introduce the film, which is free and open to the public.

Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact the Department of Environmental Studies & Sciences at 274-1822. We ask that requests for accommodations be made as soon as possible

http://www.ithaca.edu/intercom/article.php/20100520125552335#comments

http://flxpermaculture.net

  • "Living Downstream" documentary 5/26/2010 I.C. Finger Lakes Project Workshop, burns, 05/21/2010