corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul, the Gentiles and lost Israel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Tony Costa <tmcos AT rogers.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul, the Gentiles and lost Israel
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 09:40:48 -0400 (EDT)

S.John wrote:

1st alleged "proof" that Paul was speaking to
Israelites whom he considered to be Gentiles:

Paul's use of "our fathers" and "our father Abraham"
when speaking to the Gentiles.

Tony Costa responds: Gentiles were considered children
of Abraham by faith, not by physical descent as Paul
makes clear in Rom 4 & Gal 3. Paul argues that the
etymology of the name "Abraham", as "father of many
nations" anticipated the admission of the Gentiles
into the people of God or the church. Gentiles while
called "children of Abraham" are never called children
of Israel or Jacob as the Jews are.

S.John wrote:

2nd alleged "proof" that Paul was speaking to
Israelites whom he considered to be Gentiles:

Rom 9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the
Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
Rom 9:25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them
my people, which were not my people; and her
beloved,which was not beloved.
Rom 9:26 And it shall come to pass, [that] in the
place where it was said unto them, Ye [are] not my
people; there shall they be called the children of
the living God.

My opponent asserts that the verse above shows the
Gentiles to be the northern Israelites of Hosea.

Tony Costa responds: Paul is applying the passage from
Hosea because it is applicable to his situation with
the Gentile presence in the church and this need not
mean that Paul is applying the immediate context of
Hosea's day. NT writers do this frequently as
Matt.2:15 does when citing Hosea 11:1, "Out of Egypt I
called my son" and applying this narrative review of
the exodus to Jesus' return from Egypt.

Tony Costa, PhD(cand)
Toronto, Canada