corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Correctors of P46

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David @ Comcast" <davidinglis2 AT comcast.net>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul@Lists. Ibiblio. Org" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Correctors of P46
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:24:21 -0700

Various people corrected P46. Kim suggested that up to 16 correctors worked
on P46, although Comfort & Barrett identified only 3 of them. According to
Zuntz: "... the scribe who wrote the papyrus did his work very badly. Of his
innumerable faults, only a fraction (less than one in ten) have been
corrected and even that fraction--as often happens in manuscripts--grows
smaller and smaller towards the end of the book. Whole pages have been left
without any correction, however greatly they were in need of it".

Can anyone tell me just what faults (according to Zuntz) were left
un-corrected in P46. By this I mean are they actually errors in the Greek
(grammar, spelling, etc.), or are they grammatically correct readings that
Zuntz considered wrong? What was the basis that Zuntz used to determine
that P46 still had many uncorrected errors?

Dave Inglis
davidinglis2 AT comcast.net
3538 O'Connor Drive
Lafayette, CA, USA