corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Correction and Clarification

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Correction and Clarification
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:33:52 -0500

Don,
You write:

> This jives with
> Paul's equation of life under the Torah with pagan
> idolatry in Gal 4:8-10.

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that it is just this equation that
Paul does not explicitly make, although many of his interpreter's do, as do
you. If I have read Martin right, he does not wish to draw equivalence. Even
if he does, I do not read Paul to draw equivalence, and find Martin's
argument on the time-keeping as pagan useful to argue that point. Note that
nowhere in Gal 4:8-10, even in 8-20 is Law mentioned as at issue. In other
words, it seems to me that you ought to write "This jives with my
understanding that Paul's equates...," to which I would not object, only
disagree.

Regards,
Mark
--