corpus-paul - Re: Antioch Incident (Gal 2:11-15)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jonathan Ryder <jpr1001 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Antioch Incident (Gal 2:11-15)
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 16:58:54 +0100

Jim Hester wrote:

> Jonathan Ryder wrote:
> [snip]
> > Philip Esler, in his recent book in Galatians (Routledge 1998), states
> > that Paul had not been successful in persuading the Antioch church that
> > he was right in this incident (p41). I've come across this idea before -
> > indeed I think it is somewhat of a consensus view.
> [snip]
>
> Jonathan, I checked your reference but I couldn't find Esler's argument
> there. I also looked at p. 141, but it didn't seem to be there either.
> Could you double-check and elaborate, please?

Jim,

Sorry that should have been p37 ( I was reading p41 at the time I wrote the
e-mail!).
Esler's wording which implies Paul's lack of success is: 'Although he had
publicly
rebuked Peter, he had not persuaded the church in Antioch that he was in the
right.'

Apologies for wasting your and others time.

Jonathan Ryder