corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Naivete

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeff Peterson <peterson AT mail.ics.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Naivete
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:37:21 -0700

At 9:51 AM -0500 5/10/99, Edgar Krentz wrote:

>I have noticed that people hold very strong opinions about the authorship
>of the PE. That is no problem. The discussion of that authorship on this
>list some time ago demonstrated that convictions on this issue are so
>firmly held that discussion seems to have no effect.

It's quite right that people hold strong opinions regarding the authorship
of the Pastorals (and other disputed letters), and on both sides. (My own
opinion on the PE tends strongly towards uncertainty and a revolt from
absolute pronouncements on either side, coupled with the impression that
considerations favoring genuineness have been neglected in the previous
generation of scholarship -- which may make my posts on the topic seem more
convinced regarding genuineness than I in fact am.)

But it seems a bit premature to say that discussion has no effect on the
basis of the relatively slight airing this many-pronged question has had on
the list to date; e.g., I'm still thinking thorugh Chris Hutson's point
concerning the rhetoric of youth in the PE.

Jeff

Jeffrey Peterson
Institute for Christian Studies
Austin, Texas, USA