corpus-paul - Re: Paul on Resurrection

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul on Resurrection
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 13:29:55 -0400

Bob, terribly sorry for the delay in answering your query. University life
would be
so much more convenient if one did not have to deal with things like students
and
final exams. At any rate, Wayne Meeks' volume in the Westminster Library of
Early
Christianity, _the Moral World of the First Christians_, was the resource I
had in
mind. And I don't mean to imply that Paul read Stoic philosophy per se,
rather that
it was a commonplace of the first-century intellectual environment, and that
certain
loci in Paul's writings do make better sense if one knows the basic Stoic
perspective.

All the best. Sheila

Abrciw AT aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/6/99 3:30:40 PM EST, smcginn AT jcu.edu writes:
>
> << I think it is helpful to remember that Paul is strongly influenced by
> Stoicism
>
> Sheila, I was wondering if you might want to donate more than two cents to
> my
> education? :-)
>
> Since I have never been aware that Paul is strongly influenced by Stoicism I
> cannot bring that to remembrance as I consider his words. How would you
> suggest I go about educating myself?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Bob Bayer
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: smcginn AT jcu.edu

Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Biblical Studies & Early Christianity
John Carroll University
Cleveland, Ohio 44118
smcginn AT jcu.edu
www1.jcu.edu/religion/mcginn/mcginn.htm

"It didn't take long to see morality as the quickest way to avoid
self-loathing."
Sue Grafton, "L" is for Lawless (New York: Holt, 1995), 205.

  • Re: Paul on Resurrection, Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D., 05/07/1999