corpus-paul - Re CP: Summer Reading

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Revd Dr Sean F. Winter" <Sean.Winter AT virgin.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re CP: Summer Reading
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 09:34:12 +0100

What a good idea. I am in the process of refitting my library, so have
had a chance to look through my books again. Allow me to add a few
alternative and idiosyncratic titles (Mark Goodacre knows my admiration
for Sanders', and Tom Wright was my supervisor, so I leave them out)

Richard Hays, Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul (beautifully
written and extremely perceptive)

Neil Elliott, The Rhetoric of Romans: Argumentative Constraint and
Strategy and Paul's Dialogue with Judaism (the book that introduced me
to exciting (as opposed to the pedestrian "this is the probatio") forms
of rhetorical criticism.

James Dunn, Jesus, Paul and the Law: Studies in Mark and Galatians: for
the seminal articles on the new perspective

Morna Hooker: From Adam to Christ: Essays on Paul: lucid, original
scholarship.

I agree also with the comments about Beker etc.

With regard to Murphy O'Connor's book, my understanding was that the
title used "critical" in a double sense to describe the author's
approach to Paul, but also the importance of Paul's life in the
development of Christianity.

Anyway, that's my little contribution

Revd Dr Sean Winter
Baptist Minister, Reading, England

  • Re CP: Summer Reading, Revd Dr Sean F. Winter, 05/07/1999