corpus-paul - Re: Paul as Exorcist

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul as Exorcist
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 23:27:19 -0500

Graydon Snyder (Graydonsny AT aol.com) wrote:

> Since Paul was not an exorcist there is not likely much written on the
> subject.
> Though I don't especially recommend it, you might find what you want in:
>
> The Devil, Disease and Deliverance: Origins of Illness in New Testament
> Thought. By John
> Christopher Thomas. Journal of Pentecostal Theology Supplement Series
> 13-Sheffield:
> Sheffield Academic Press, 1998. 360 pp. Paper. $21.95.

Graydon,

I take it that what you mean by Paul not being an exorcist is that in his
letters Paul
never mentions his having engaged in that activity (nor does he ever there
explicitly
mention exorcisms themselves, for that matter) or ever presents himself
within that
role. But in Acts it's a different story. There, in Acts 16, Paul *is*
portrayed as
engaging in exorcistic activity. What, typically, is the explanation for
this, I
wonder? And is not Paul portrayed as an exorcist in some of the apocryphal
acts as
well?

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson