corpus-paul - 1 Cor 14:34ff

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Anders Eriksson <aeriks2 AT emory.edu>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: 1 Cor 14:34ff
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 21:31:27 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Sheila McGinn

You wrote:

"There is enough text critical evidence to raise problems for me. As
Metzger points
out in his _Textual
Commentary on the GNT_, several witnesses transpose verses 34-35 to follow
verse 40.
This dislocation is
exactly what one would expect from the insertion of a marginal gloss.
Winsome Munro
makes a good case for
this being an insertion from someone like the author of the PE."

May I ask you if you have a subjective position on this issue which might
influence your judgment? Do you want to portray Paul as a nice guy?

Anders Eriksson, Th. D.

Research Scholar at Lund University
Visiting Scholar at Emory University
Director of the Aphthonius project
sponsored by the Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation.