corpus-paul - 1 Cor 14:34f

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 1 Cor 14:34f
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 16:00:42 -0400

Chris Cutler wrote:

> Maybe you have evidence that may question the authenticity
> of 1 Cor 14:34. If so I would like to hear it.

There is enough text critical evidence to raise problems for me. As Metzger
points
out in his _Textual
Commentary on the GNT_, several witnesses transpose verses 34-35 to follow
verse 40.
This dislocation is
exactly what one would expect from the insertion of a marginal gloss.
Winsome Munro
makes a good case for
this being an insertion from someone like the author of the PE.

SEM

--
Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

"It didn't take long to see morality as the quickest way to avoid
self-loathing."
Sue Grafton, "L" is for Lawless (New York: Holt, 1995), 205.