corpus-paul - Re: Pseudonymity & 2 Thessalonians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pseudonymity & 2 Thessalonians
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 16:53:55 -0700

I have been following the on-going discussion of pseudonymity and the
authorship of 2 Thess and thought I might report something a few of you
might find useful.

At the March meeting of the Paul Seminar of the Westar Institute ( aka
"Jesus Seminar" although I refuse to grant the hegemony of that
enterprise!), Darrell Doughty presented a paper in which he argued that 1
Thess should be dated to the end of the first century CE, and that, in fact,
no compelling historical critical argument could be made for the pauline
authorship of most of the pauline corpus. Darrell has written two other
papers on the general issues of the historical Paul. Folks who are
interested in them might be able to obtain copies from the Institute. (It
now has its own website, by the way.)

He included with his paper a copy of an article by Christoph Demke,
"Theology and Literary Criticism in 1 Thessalonians", The Journal of Higher
Criticism,3/2 (Fall 1996), 194-214. Demke takes the same position regarding
1 Thess as Doughty does, and in a footnote implies that 2 Thess must be
post-apostolic as well.

John Hurd: I am sorry that I wasn't on the list when you posted your
material on pauline authorship. Could you send it to me directly?

Jim Hester
736 Buckingham Drive
Redlands, CA 92374
(909) 792-0533