corpus-paul - Re: Pseudonymity & 2 Thessalonians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pseudonymity & 2 Thessalonians
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 18:39:51 -0300

Anything about 2 Thess. which is similar to 1 Thess. is counted as evidence of "slavish copying"; anything which seems dissimilar is taken as evidence of non authenticity.
John, et al.,

I'd say that the argument against the authenticity of 2 Thessalonians is made from a combination of similarity and dissimilarity.  Notably, the similarity is mostly in chapters 1 and 3 of 2 Thessalonians.  But there are significant differences.  I'd certainly point to the great expansion of interest in hypomone (endurance) in 2 Thess. 1 and the great expansion of interest in the ataktoi in 2 Thess. 3.  A lot of ink has been spilled over the "cooler tone" in 2 Thess. as compared with 1 Thess. (most notably 1 Thess. saying "we give thanks" and 2 Thess. saying "we are obliged to give thanks").  I continue to think that the greatest difference is in the eschatologies of the two letters.

I don't think that was slavish copying.  It was copying only in the sense that anybody doing imitatio copied various patterns of style and words and came up with new literature.  I think Wrede's synopsis of 1 and 2 Thess. is still useful.  I ended my book arguing that the Deuteropauline writers (Eph., Col., 2 Thess.) should not be seen as "weak epigones" who should only be viewed in the long shadows cast by Paul but as creative writers and theologians in their own right.

We will have to order a copy of your book of essays for our library very soon to make sure it is here in time for the second semester.

All best,
Frank W. Hughes
Codrington College
Barbados