corpus-paul - Re: Pseudonymity & 2 Thessalonians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: yonder moynihan gillihan <ymgillih AT midway.uchicago.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pseudonymity & 2 Thessalonians
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 14:10:56 -0500 (CDT)

Thank you for the reference to your article. I look forward to
reading it.

W. Meeks recently argued that the function of apocalyptic language in 2
Thess is so similar to that of 1 Thess and other authentic letters

"that if we pay strict attention to the functions that the
apocalyptic language most likely serves in this letter, then many of the
reasons for doubting Pauline authorship become less persuasive." ("Social
Functions of Apocalyptic Language" in D. Hellholm, ed., _Apocalypticism in
the Mediterranean World and Ancient Near East_ (Mohr Siebeck, 1989), 689)

I am interested the case for the authenticity of 2 Thess, since I am
presently working on a paper on apocalypticism and ethics in Paul. As
Meeks indicates, 2 Thess "would give the clearest example we have of the
use of eschatological beliefs by the Pauline leaders for _social_ control,
not only for the control of beliefs", if we accept it as genuine. (Ibid.)
I wonder if you might be able to repost your bibliography, or direct me to
other discussions?

Best,
Yonder Gillihan
NT/ECL, The University of Chicago