corpus-paul - Re: Sequence of the letters

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sequence of the letters
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:19:31 -0400

John, the following is a much-belated reply to your comment.

"John C. Hurd" wrote:

> I am not sure that I see the problem. The lack of sexual differentiation
> among Christians
> is a fundamental idea that Paul carries through his career. The
> conversation leading up
> to 1 Corinthians had to do with the disparity between what Paul had said
> when he founded
> that congregation (better not to marry) and what he had said in the
> "Previous Letter"
> (safer to marry). There is no problem in Corinth, e.g., about women
> preaching.

I agree there is no problem about women preaching. I also agree on the
marriage issues you
mention. My question is why Paul would repeat "neither woman and man"
language in Galatians
_after_ all the trouble he had with the homosexual and incestuous behavior in
Corinth? Sheila

--
Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Biblical Studies & Early Christianity
John Carroll University
Cleveland, Ohio 44118
smcginn AT jcu.edu
www1.jcu.edu/religion/mcginn/mcginn.htm
begin:vcard
n:Ph.D.;Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
tel;fax:216-397-4518
tel;work:216-397-3087
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:John Carroll University
version:2.1
email;internet:smcginn AT jcu.edu
title:Associate Professor of Religious Studies
x-mozilla-cpt:;17952
fn:Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
end:vcard