corpus-paul - Re: Paul and Judaism

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Patrick Nugent <nugenpa AT earlham.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul and Judaism
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 06:52:18 -0500

Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:

> I think
>it would be amazing if he could explain all the negative statements of
>Paul
>on Judaism and the Law, but still could say that Paul did not criticise
>Judaism and the Law.

I have been following this discussion keenly and it has proved
fascinating. I think Moon-Ryul Jung is certainly right here, but it seems
to me that a more pointed and interesting question is whether, when Paul
criticised "Judaism and the Law" he did so believing himself to be an
outsider or an insider. A reformist or radical inside critique carries
different connotations and cultural weight than does an outsider's
criticism. So do we read Paul as a radical, or as an apostate?
Patrick J. Nugent
Department of Religion
Earlham College
Richmond, Indiana 47374 USA

(765) 983-1413
nugenpa AT earlham.edu

  • Re: Paul and Judaism, Patrick Nugent, 04/21/1999